Chamelco Community health & Nutrition Project
Alta Verapaz is a department located 219 kilometers from the Capital of Guatemala, with a population of nearly 1 million people. The maternal mortality rate is the highest in the country, and basic childhood illnesses and malnutrition kill many children. Malnutrition and respiratory diseases are the greatest dangers for children.
- Reduce morbidity and mortality among women and children under 5.
- Improve child health through increased access to community level health services and improved household practices.
- Improve quality of child health in facilities through strengthened Integrated Management of Childhood Illness (IMCI) services.
- Reduce respiratory diseases through improved stoves.
- Improve community health through Community Case Management, health clinics, medicines and medical supplies, and improved latrines.