Chamelco Community health & Nutrition Project
Alta Verapaz is a department located 219 kilometers from the Capital of Guatemala, with a population of nearly 1 million people. The maternal mortality rate is the highest in the country, and basic childhood illnesses and malnutrition kill many children. Malnutrition and respiratory diseases are the greatest dangers for children.
- Reduce the incidence and improve case management (through Community Case Management) of pneumonia and diarrhea in children under 2 years old.
- Reduce stunting and underweight due to malnutrition in children under 5 years old through Community Health programs.
- Improve health of pregnant women and mothers.
- Reduce respiratory diseases through improved stoves
- Improve community health through Community Case Management, health clinics, medicines and medical supplies, and improved latrines.