Ebola Epidemic - Disaster Response
Because of your generous donations, Medical Teams International has helped to stop the spread of Ebola altogether. Your gifts improved safety in communities, families and health clinics through education and training. Thank you!
MTI's Ebola Response in Liberia
Medical Teams International took a leadership role among NGOs in Liberia in the fight to stop the spread of Ebola.
The Liberian Ministry of Health, the CDC, the WHO, and other NGOs requested MTI's expertise to help contain the deadly virus. Our teams were on the ground responding across Liberia. Your gifts made this possible.
watch now: ebola response in liberia
MTI's Ebola Response Initiatives Included:
- Social mobilization provide Ebola prevention in the community. Sensitization of the community on how the virus spreads is critical to containing the virus. While MTI was heavily involved with community outreach in early summer, most education to the general public is taking place over national media (radio, billboards, etc). MTI continues to meet with community leaders to ensure compliance with protocols.
- Infection prevention and control (IPC) in the home. Ebola patients need to be treated at home as delays occur in transferring them to an Ebola Treatment Unit (ETU). MTI is training Community Health Workers to share information and supplies with the community so they can treat Ebola cases at home in the interim.
- Providing protection training of health workers. Health workers are afraid to go to work for fear of infection, and non-Ebola related deaths result. MTI is training in the basics of Ebola and how to protect themselves from infection. MTI is also working with clinics to establish triage areas that are isolated from the Outpatient Departments.
- Supporting health workers. MTI staff is providing quality assurance to ensure that health workers are protecting themselves. In doing so, MTI staff will not be exposed to Ebola patients.
- Improving infection control measures at health facilities. MTI is providing timely and accurate tracing and follow up of Ebola contacts as well as performing clinic assessments and on-site corrective feedback.
- Running Community Care Centers (CCC). UNHCR has requested that MTI run CCCs in three refugee camps in Liberia. We are setting up triage at the camp's health centers and training local staff.
- Shipping supplies. MTI is sending shipments of Personal Protective Equipment kits (PPEs), gloves and body bags.
Infection Prevention and Control at a clinic in Liberia.
- Heart to Heart
- Liberian Ministry of Health
- Paul Allen Foundation