Journalist / Photojournalist
Volunteers have the opportunity to support the mission of the organization by capturing our work in communities we serve in the U.S. and worldwide through photography, video, writing, and blogging for various organizational use including newsletters, website, and marketing collateral.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
General expectations: Provide high resolution photographs according to Medical Teams International’s photographic guidelines and needs and/or a minimum of 3-4 story write ups to reflect the work accomplished and/or impact on communities served.
Requirements for all volunteers
All volunteers must adhere to the following requirements:
- Maintain a commitment to our mission statement.
- Have a compassion for people in need.
- Must be culturally sensitive.
- Be willing to work in difficult situations and challenging environments.
- Be able to professionally represent Medical Teams International.
- Be in good general health.
- Possess a valid passport.
- Possess a current professional license (as applicable).
- Complete and send all required application materials.
- Read and sign MTI’s Child Protection Policy as well as complete a background check.
- Have all current doctor-recommended immunizations.
- Have the ability to pay and/or fund-raise for travel, in-country expenses and administration fee(s), including ACE emergency evacuation insurance. Costs range between $1500 - $3000; depending on the trip.
- Provide own equipment for purpose of trip objective.
May be called on to create blog content, capture video/audio content as needed.
Desired Minimum Qualifications:
Prospective journalist/photojournalist applicants will be required to submit a current resume and examples of their work via writing samples or links to a personal website, blogs, flickr account, dropbox etc. If we do not receive any examples of your writing or photographic work, we will not be able to consider you.
Tools and Equipment Used:
Photojournalist volunteers must provide own camera equipment and access/ability to upload photos to Medical Teams International upon return.
Must be in good physical and mental health. Travel and living conditions may be difficult and involves certain risks made dangerous by disease, war and other hazards.
If traveling outside of the United States:
- Medical and dental services may be inadequate or totally lacking;
- You may be exposed to illnesses and diseases;
- Law enforcement may be inadequate or totally lacking;
- Motor vehicle travel may be dangerous and motor vehicle laws may not be observed nor enforced;
- Food and water may be unsanitary, unsafe and dangerous;
- There may be social unrest, terrorism, insurrection, revolution or war.
- Other dangers exist, and you may be exposed to them in one form or another.
Position is ongoing. Volunteer photojournalist would be called upon to travel with international medical, dental and work teams as needed. Trips range from 1-4 weeks depending on location. Approved volunteers will be notified of potential opportunities including specific dates and costs.
If you have any questions regarding this opportunity or would like to apply for this volunteer position please contact Angela Pratt at 503-624-1000 or email@example.com.