International Volunteer Opportunities
Teams of skilled medical, dental and work volunteers improve health care and living conditions for people in need. Our volunteer teams travel to countries in Africa, Asia, Eurasia and Latin America to provide needed care and training that offers healing and lasting hope.
Medical Teams [PDF]
Dental Teams [PDF]
Work Teams [PDF]
Extended-Term Volunteer Opportunities [PDF]
Types of volunteers needed
All types of physicians, nurses and assistants are needed to help treat sick and injured people in developing nations and in areas impacted by natural disaster. Teams are deployed to communities around the world where health care is unavailable. Teams are also sent to help improve and expand the capabilities of local health professionals.
Pre-hospital professionals (EMTs, Paramedics, etc.)
We truly thank the EMS community for your generous support of our international EMS programs. At this time our pre-hospital professional roster is full and we are unable to take any additional applications. We will continue to place teams from our existing roster.
In many communities around the world, dental care is nonexistent. Dental pain and abscesses are common problems and quickly become life-threatening without treatment. Medical Teams International works with local partners to provide dental care to families who don't have access to a dentist.
Dental teams focus on providing quality care for acute dental needs, updating local health workers with new procedures and strengthening the capacity of our partners' dental programs.
Builders and workers
Willing workers are sent in teams to improve living conditions in situations where people are suffering from lack of water, sanitation, food and other basic necessities. Work teams may be deployed to build clinics, dig wells, build latrines, install cooking stoves or to address other community health construction related needs.
Journalist / Photojournalist
Volunteers have the opportunity to support the mission of the organization by capturing our work in communities we serve in the U.S. and worldwide through photography, video, writing, and blogging for various organizational use including newsletters, website, and marketing collateral. For more information on how to apply to serve as a photojournalist, please view the position description.
Apply to be an international volunteer
Requirements for all volunteers
All volunteers must adhere to the following requirements:
- Maintain a commitment to our mission statement.
- Have a compassion for people in need.
- Be willing to work in difficult situations and challenging environments.
- Be in good general health.
- Possess a valid passport.
- Possess a current professional license (as applicable).
- Complete and send all required application materials (see below).
- Sign the Child Protection Policy and complete a background check.
- Have all current doctor-recommended immunizations.
- Have the ability to pay and/or fund-raise for travel, in-country expenses and administration fee(s), including ACE emergency evacuation insurance.
- Have the ability to acquire the needed team trip supplies.
Please complete and send us the following application documents.
Important: When you click on a PDF document, below, it may appear in your browser window. If so, you will need to save the form to your PC, open it separately to fill it out, then save it. Once your forms are completed and saved, you may email them to us. Do not attempt to complete the form in your browser window or your information may be lost.
- Complete the Volunteer Application [PDF].
- Complete the Volunteer Questionnaire [PDF]
- Make a photocopy of your passport.
- Get two professional references. You may email the online reference form link MedicalTeams.org/Reference to two fellow professionals for them to fill out and submit.
- To be considered for medical or dental team placement, please be prepared to submit:
- Your CV or resume
- A copy of your medical/dental license
Please email your completed application materials to email@example.com or mail it to:
Medical Teams International
Attn: International Programs
P.O. Box 10
Portland, OR 97207
Have questions? Call our volunteer hotline at 800.959.4325, ext. 3336 for answers and more information.
Support a Volunteer
Every month, teams depart for places around the world in need of healing and hope. Each team member donates his or her time. In addition, many pay the travel costs and gather donated supplies and medicines.
You can be part of these teams by supporting them financially. Not all of us can physically touch and help the hurting men, women and children in need. But you help send those who do. See Support a Volunteer to make a donation.