According to a survey, some characteristics of U.S. American workers that have stood out for host nationals include that they:
Adapted from L. Robert Kohls (1984) Survival Kit for Overseas Living
- Expect to accomplish more in the local environment than is reasonable.
- Are insensitive to local customs and norms.
- Resist working through normal administrative channels.
- Often take credit for joint efforts.
- Think they have all the right answers.
- Are abrupt and task-oriented, insensitive to the feelings of others.