(PORTLAND, OR, Nov 25, 2009) Tigard-based humanitarian aid organization, Medical Teams International, celebrates 30 years of hope and healing on Nov. 27, 2009.
Medical Teams International began in 1979, as businessman Ron Post watched television reports of mass suffering in Cambodia. He saw thousands of refugees hoping to escape the Khmer Rouge by stumbling across the border into Thailand. Less than a month later, Ron and 28 medical volunteers set out to make that difference by providing care for the survivors of Cambodia’s killing fields.
Since 1979, Medical Teams International has:
◦Changed its name from Northwest Medical Teams to Medical Teams International.
- ◦Sent 2,000 teams to help those in need.
- ◦Shipped $1.3 billion in lifesaving medicines around the world.
- ◦Cared for more than 25 million people in 100 countries.
- ◦Welcomed nearly 40,000 people into its REAL. LIFE. Exhibit in Tigard, Ore., since its opening in 2006.
- ◦Met the dental needs of more than 150,000 low-income children and adults throughout Oregon and Washington through its Mobile Dental Program in the last 26 years and recently expanded to Minneapolis.
- ◦Distributed health supplies valued at millions of dollars to local partners in Oregon and Washington.
- ◦Grown to 300 staff working at offices in eight countries and at five locations within the U.S.
- ◦Remain committed to its mission: “to demonstrate the love of Christ to people affected by disaster, conflict and poverty around the world.”
Watch for special 30th anniversary events coming throughout this next year. Photos and interviews are available upon request. Donations can be made by calling (503) 624-1000 or by logging on to www.medicalteams.org.
"GIFT OF HOPE TEAM" DEPARTING FOR ROMANIA
Also, on Nov. 27, 2009, a "Gift of Hope" Team will depart for Sibiu, Romania, to distribute gifts and minister to children in placement centers and families in villages around Romania, bringing them gifts of hope.
Leonard and Georgene Bernhardt of Beaverton, Ore., will lead the team to Romania to work with Medical Teams International’s partner, Fundatia Heart of Hope. The team will be traveling from Portland International Airport on Friday.
Since 1979, Medical Teams International has shipped more than 1.3 billion in antibiotics, surgical kits and lifesaving medicines to care for 35 million people in 100 countries around the world. More than 2000 volunteers meet the needs of people worldwide each year. Donations can be made by calling (503) 624.1000 or by logging on to www.medicalteams.org.