Medical Teams International recently sent medicines and supplies valued at nearly $1 million to Haiti. Additionally, its 14th volunteer medical team leaves Saturday to continue saving lives in Haiti.
Plus, Team #14 Departs This Weekend for Haiti
(PORTLAND OR, Mar 18, 2010) -- Medical Teams International recently sent medicines and supplies valued at nearly $1 million to Haiti. Additionally, its 14th volunteer medical team leaves Saturday to continue saving lives in Haiti.
Two emergency health kits with lifesaving malaria medicines arrived in Haiti on Monday. The medicines--worth $963,920--will help save the lives of 20,000 people for three months. Medical Teams International has sent more than $4.6 million worth of supplies since the earthquake hit on January 12.
The 10-member team leaves for Haiti, beginning this Saturday. Members include:
- Colin O'Reardon, EMT Paramedic, resident of Portland, Ore.
- Bradley Fritze, EMT Paramedic, resident of Portland, Ore.
- Cosimo Storniolo, MD, resident of Corvallis, Ore., specialties include family practice and internal medicine
- Marilee Dea, Nurse Practitioner, resident of Portland, Ore., specialty is pediatrics
- Elizabeth Whitaker, RN, resident of Snoqualmie, Wash.
- Jan Dahlin, MD, resident of Eagle, Idaho, specialty includes orthopedic surgery
- Manuel Ramirez, Physician Assistant, resident of Decatur, Ga.
- Maria Kanno, RN, resident of Corona, N.Y.
- Ashley Johansen, RN, resident of Alberta, Canada
- Michael Erkel, Physician Assistant, resident of Onamia, Minn.
During the first eight weeks after the earthquake, Medical Teams International sent 13 volunteer teams composed of more than 70 doctors, nurses and other health professionals. The first team arrived in Haiti on January 15, and since then the volunteers have been working in the areas of Port-au-Prince, Leogane, Les Cayes and Carrefour. Volunteers and staff have been able to provide care for nearly 15,000 people. Services include orthopedic surgery, primary health care, wound care and psychosocial treatment.
To Donate: Text “HOPE” to 253-83 to give an automatic $10 to Medical Teams International. Giving is always available online at www.medicalteams.org, or by calling 1-800-959-4325.
Since 1979, Medical Teams International has shipped more than $1.3 billion in antibiotics, surgical kits and lifesaving medicines to care for 45 million people in 100 countries around the world. More than 2,600 volunteers meet the needs of people worldwide each year. Donations can be made by calling (503) 624-1000 or by logging on to www.medicalteams.org.