Blog Home

Medical Teams Blog: Stories of boldly breaking barriers to health

Sign up to receive the blog directly to your email inbox

Syrian Refugee Crisis, Part 2: Waiting in fear, losing hope

by Emily Crowe | Apr 23, 2016

WALID'S STORY - PART 2: This story is straight from the field - One of our team members met Walid and his family, Syrian refugees, in Greece. This is part two of their story- check out Part 1 here.

Walid's wife and their youngest child, Muhammad, share a heartwarming moment in Greece. Fighting near their home forced them to flee, and they're enduring heartbreaking, dangerous conditions to find safety for their family.

A dangerous game of chance

On the day they were finally able to attempt crossing the Aegean Sea, water the group departed from the flat at five o'clock in the morning. Again, all 50 in the group were crammed in a small cargo truck. The group was again on top of one another and though it was freezing cold outside, Walid remembers the extreme heat of being in the truck and desperate for air to breathe. He remembers at one point having to remove all the clothing from his youngest child because he was burning hot.

After half an hour of driving, it felt like they could no longer breathe and the group began knocking and pounding for the driver to stop and give them fresh air to breathe. Finally he stopped and opened the door for five minutes and did so repeatedly along the trip as they begged for it again and again.

Finally the group reached Cesme, Turkey, around 7 p.m. The group was instructed to get prepared to leave in a boat and wait for their driver. The man who was supposed to drive them told them he was going to check for police and make sure the area was clear. They waited for him until 7am and eventually realized he would not be returning to help them get across. The group couldn’t wait any longer or they would certainly be caught.

The dinghy boat should carry only 10 people—they crowded 50.

The driver never came back to get them across so they had to choose someone from their group [none of them had experience]... The motor on the dinghy was very weak so they had to move slowly. After two hours they had still not reached the Greek border because they weren’t going fast enough.

Then, water began seeping into their boat, and the group panicked realizing their boat was damaged… If the police did not arrive soon, they realized their boat would sink. Thankfully, however, the police came immediately… Walid remembers that volunteers brought them food and clothing right away. The next day the UN had arrived and they were given documents to keep track of everyone in the family.

Waiting in fear, losing hope

From Lesvos, the family of eight journeyed to the main land and up to the Macedonia border. They waited for a month by the Macedonia border. Walid recalls that it was very difficult and very cold. Heavy rain poured and the water would get inside the tents. There was no way for them to keep it out.

After a month of waiting near Macedonia, they lost hope that the border would open. From there he shared his feeling at the time: "And then what will happen next I don't know."

Walid holds up his son Muhammad to show the skin damage that has developed on his face that over the past two months. The doctor gave them cream to apply but it has not gone away.

At this point, he shares that he and Reem will go anywhere that would give them stability for their family and the ability to live peacefully. Being a metalworker, Walid hopes that this will help him find work wherever they end up.

In the short term view, he shares that they no longer feel hope they once did. “I don’t expect much from people,” he says, “but somehow, I hope God will work things out for us.”